COVID-19 Antigen Testing
Riverside Brookfield High School District 208 seeks to maintain a safe environment for employees, students, and their families in light of the COVID-19 outbreak. This consent form provides Riverside Brookfield High School District 208 with your permission to perform a COVID-19 screening test, the BinaxNOW, on your child (or on you, if you are the student), and to release the results of the test to the Illinois Department of Public Health and the Cook County Health Department.
The tests used by Riverside Brookfield High School District 208 have been allowed for use by the Food and Drug Administration (“FDA”) but have not been approved by the FDA. A rapid test alone may not be sufficient to detect or rule out the possibility that you have been exposed to or are infected with COVID-19. You should carefully monitor your own symptoms, and notwithstanding the results of any testing, you must stay home and should consult with your physician if you experience symptoms of COVID-19.
What Is the BinaxNOW Test?
BinaxNOW is an antigen test that detects the presence of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes a COVID-19 infection, in about fifteen minutes. The specimen for the test is collected via a nasal swab. This test is completely voluntary and will not ever be administered unless this form is signed.
When Will Students Be Tested?
Riverside Brookfield High School District 208 intends to administer the BinaxNOW test to students who present with symptoms of COVID-19 and whose parents/guardians (and the students themselves, if age 18 or older and not under guardianship) have provided consent for testing. Do not send your student to school if they are exhibiting any symptoms of COVID-19. The BinaxNOW test is intended to be administered to students who begin to exhibit symptoms during the school day or through alternative voluntary screening. Students will be expected to quarantine consistent with the Illinois Department of Public Health’s Guidance.
Is Antigen Testing Mandatory?
NO. Screening tests for SARS-CoV-2 can support in-person learning by identifying infected persons who are asymptomatic and without known or suspected exposure to SARS-CoV-2. Since Riverside Brookfield is a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) Program, SARS-CoV-2 testing will be offered to all students and staff who have not been fully vaccinated. Students and or staff that are interested in this program should email the Health Office at [email protected] .
Who Will See My Student’s Test Results?
Testing will be completed and interpreted by the school nurse, Brittany Behrendt RN, BSN. Testing results will be available to any employees of Riverside Brookfield High School District 208 with a legitimate educational interest, consistent with the Illinois School Student Records Act. Additionally, Riverside Brookfield High School District 208 will share the following delineated information to the parties described below:
- Riverside Brookfield High School District 208 will share positive and negative test results, student name, student date of birth, and student address with the Illinois Department of Public Health via electronic transmission of this information using Red Cap online reporting site. The purpose of this disclosure is to facilitate contact tracing and tracking of test usage.
- Riverside Brookfield High School District 208 will share positive and negative test results, student name, student date of birth, and student address with the Cook County Health Department via email. The purpose of this disclosure is to facilitate contact tracing and to assist the local health department in monitoring community transmission metrics.
- Turn it in-person to the Student Health Office--Room 139
- Email to [email protected]
- Fax to 708-442-0129
- Mail to Brittany Behrendt at 160 Ridgewood Rd, Riverside, IL 60546