The Board of Education and the Riverside Brookfield Education Association (RBEA) are pleased to announce that at the Committee of the Whole and Special meeting on April 23, 2019, the Board approved a new threeyear collective bargaining agreement (CBA) with the RBEA following ratification by the RBEA membership on April 22. The new CBA is the product of numerous meetings between the Board’s and RBEA’s negotiating teams. The collaborative process began in January and culminated recently. Both sides desired to have a new CBA in place for the start of the next school year and agreed to use a hybrid model of Interest Based Bargaining. The process was led by a Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service mediator. This model improved communication and focused the groups to collaboratively address issues within the CBA while avoiding the cumbersome process of exchanging multiple offers that comes with traditional bargaining. General conversations between the Board and the RBEA started in the fall in an effort to improve communications. The parties believe they have negotiated a fair and equitable CBA.
The Significant Highlights of the new CBA:
- Teacher salary increases will continue to follow a “flat dollar” concept;
- Teacher salary increases (including retirement increases) average 3.4 percent over three years;
- Educational support personnel employees will receive a 3 percent increase annually;
- A salary range concept (minimums and maximums) was implemented;
- The Athletic stipend schedule was restructured to implement a four-tier system from the previous two-tier system;
- Insurance contributions and plan design changes were agreed upon that should generate a savings of approximately 4.78 percent in premiums;
- On average the new CBA will have an annual total cost increase of 2.1 percent which is in line with inflation; and
- Changes to certain management rights.
Board President Garry Gryczan and RBEA President Doug Schultz commended all of the participants in the negotiations process for their dedication and collaborative efforts in finalizing this CBA. The CBA maintains the stature of our highly accomplished and respected teachers and support staff and supports the Board’s long-range financial goals.
View the full official press release below.